Thursday 16 January 2014

Beginnings


Our cat: Not a happy bunny
I'm doing what's called a 'Massive Open Online Course' with Exeter University at the moment. It's the one called Climate Change: Challenges and Solutions. And it's free, which is always a bonus.

As part of the course, you're asked to 'reflect' on what you've learnt through something like a blog. So here we are.

The course lasts 8 weeks and every week you're set up (online) with a new bunch of videos, course material, and questions that allegedly take between 2 and 3 hours to complete. Well, yeah, but if you want the full social media experience, you need to read through all the comments posted by your classmates. That kind of takes a while. Lucky they're worth reading then.

Why am I doing the course? Well, as I commented on the course forum "I'm doing this course because I'm concerned about the sort of world my kids will be growing up in. Will they be part of the first generation to KNOW their world is in decline, or part of one that's finally going to turn it all round? Or will climate change turn out to be nonsense, and the joke will be on us".

No comments:

Post a Comment